Each lesson should contain the following elements. Routine is important, so remember to always begin and end each lesson with the hello and good-bye songs.
1. Warm-up Song: “1-2-3 amigos” (to the tune of 10 Little Indians)
3. Presentation of new material (using Krashen and Terrell’s “Natural Approach”)
Include a selection of the following:
- Authentic or other appropriate song
- TPR (Total Physical Response); coral response
- Games – include following directions (through movement or drawing); speaking; reading and/or writing.
- Book – those that include repeated, chorus-type phrases are helpful in getting students to repeat vocabulary and sentence structures; others with more complicated story lines and lexicon can be used for more passive learning.
4. Good-bye routine: “Adios amiguitos” (to the tune of If You’re Happy and You Know It)